Online First »
The FDA approved eltrombopag to treat patients with severe aplastic anemia who fail to respond adequately to immunosuppressive therapy. Eltrombopag, an oral thrombopoietin receptor agonist, induces the proliferation and differentiation of bone marrow stem cells to increase production of blood cells.
The approval was based on the results of a phase 2 study conducted by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute that included 43 patients with severe aplastic anemia who have had an insufficient response to at least 1 prior immunosuppressive therapy.
Online Exclusive »
According to a report from the Coalition for Affordable Quality Healthcare (CAQH), physicians and healthcare providers continue to underutilize electronic transactions that could save them billions of dollars.
In the 2012 CAQH report, 91% of healthcare claims were submitted electronically; however, only 68% of requests for eligibility and benefits verification and 57% of claims status inquiries were electronic. Sixty percent of claims payments were sent electronically, and so were approximately 50% of remittance advice documents.
Cover Story »
San Francisco—In November 2013, the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) released new guidelines for treatment with lipids and recommended the use of statins for millions of more adults, including most patients with type 2 diabetes. This was the first update since the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) released its most recent Adult Treatment Panel guidelines in 2001, which were modified in 2004.
Supplements and Special Projects
- Improving Men’s Health, Quality of Life, and Cost Outcomes: Evolving Treatment Strategies for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Building Better COPD Management Programs: Incorporating HEDIS Measures and Clinical Data
- Assessing the Cost/Benefit of Oral MS Therapies on Patient Health and Resource Utilization
- Incorporating HEDIS Measures and Newer Therapies to Improve COPD Treatment Adherence and Outcomes
- Translating Guidelines and Evidence on Newer Anticoagulants to Improved Clinical and Cost Outcomes in AF-Related Stroke
- Opportunities to Reduce the Clinical and Economic Burden of Hyponatremia: Clinical and Pharmacoeconomic Guidance for Managed Care